Saturday, August 28, 2010

Stash Game Time!

STASH GAME is about to begin...
I spend more time reading other people's blogs and bookmarking them as favorites than I do on my own! I have been sewing a lot in spurts... lots of baby stuff for family and friends and then a random creative project here and there that more often than not ends up in the wadder pile... I made some utilitarian stuff like napkins and the sort and more some back to school shirts. My kids wear uniforms so we didn't need a ton of stuff and it is still sweltering her in the Midwest. I am looking forward to some fall sewing though. I joined a sewing contest on my favorite sewing site, Sewingmamas, called Stash Game. I think I will be motivated really soon to be in my sewing room as much as possible. The goal is not to buy anything for a month and to sew, sew, sew from your personal stash. You loose points for buying fabric and there is a whole point system for mending and sewing things. Well this should be very, very good for my bank account!

Here are some projects I have been made recently...
More baby gifts~ I just love the NCBE pattern (Newborn Conceptions Baby Essentials)--- I think I can make it with my eyes closed I have made so many! I was thinking the other day- I wonder if people love them as much as I love making them... I mean are they useful? I would think the wide open kimono style would be good for newborns so you don't jostle their noggins too much right? I wasn't much of a sewing when my kids were infants so I guess I really don't know if they are a go to outfit... really cute though- and isn't that what really matters- Fashion over Function~ right?

Here is one of my all time favorites... why am I obsessed with Japanese import fabrics- particularly heggies? They are so cute! This one is for my new nephew, William, who lives all the way in Alaska! Front and back view... He was too little to wear it yet... (just 2 weeks old now)

This is the Ann Marie Horner Multi-Tasker bag and it is a cute bag. Functional with 4 exterior pockets- so it is great for a diaper bag, knitting bag, or whatever.. I like it because it has interior and exterior pockets and it doesn't take too much interfacing (the stiff stuff on a bag). The pattern was not well written at all, but I was able to make it work. It is a very large bag- more like a tote so it helps to have all those pockets and some little wristlets to organize things... that being said you could fit a small child in this humongous bag! Here are a couple I made recently- a bag from my favorite, sadly now out of print Moda 1974 print, a bag I made my SIL to take to the hospital when she had her baby, a graduation bag for my cousin, Alana, )who is off to college- can that be possible?), a bag for our silent auction Growing the Arts fundraiser at my kiddo's school and a knitting bag for a friend...



Some fabric baskets for a friend who is putting on a bridal shower...


A boxy bag for toiletries for my mom who was traveling and of course gave the other one I made her away to her hostess...

Some back to school shirts for my nephews.... (modelled shot of James, with his dad and new brother, William, right after birth)



My nephew, Timothy, who loves fishing, Shamu, any kind of construction, and of course airplanes~ it is always sew fun and easy to sew for him!


Some more baby presents... embellished burp cloths are so fast to make and a little minky backed blankie... Oh how I love my Heather Ross fabrics... so soft and such nice quality to sew... and so whimsy... a simple bag for big brother filled with Thomas Train surprises and a train book and read along cassette tape (do people even have cassette players anymore???) and a few quiet bags for a friend's children during a funeral...



Sewers will understand this... sometimes there is a print that you really love... you love it so much that you will pay big bucks for it! Even for a little scrap or a piece only big enough for a front of a shirt or maybe just a sleeve or an applique... This is one of those prints.... it is called Happy Camper and it is the perfect green and browns with a print of a retro camper with a smiling face on it... get it Happy Camper? I love it for some unknown reason and it is super hard to find. I happened upon a piece from a generous mama on a sewing board who sold it to me so reasonably...

Alas, I only had a little piece... I was thinking of all the things I could make with it... a baby outfit for my nephew.. a cute quilt... well my son saw it and he immediately asked for it. How could I refuse? No~ I will probably never get my hands on another piece again, but I gladly sewed into up into a beloved hoodie (his wardrobe staple) knowing the time is coming
***covering my ears and singing loudly lalalalalalalala ***
when he won't want me to sew for him... So I made him another hoodie... And he wears it all the time. And that is the joy of sewing!





No comments:

Post a Comment